Oral Health Data Collection
Understanding Oral Health Data in Louisiana
Collecting and analyzing data is vital to understanding, and ultimately improving, oral health in Louisiana. That’s why Well-Ahead Louisiana works closely with state partners to develop and interpret information that informs us about health disparities, trends in disease and service use, unmet needs and targeting resources more efficiently. We achieve this in partnership with the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors for the development of survey design, sample of selected schools, data analysis and interpretation of results.
Bright Smiles for Bright Futures: Basic Screening Survey
The Bright Smiles for Bright Futures Third Grade Survey is a nationwide open-mouth survey used by several states as a consistent model for data collection to improve overall oral health. In Louisiana, the survey is conducted every three to five years to produce statistical estimates on dental health indicators. The first Basic Screening Survey (BSS) was conducted in 1997-1998, and the most recent survey was conducted in 2016-2018. The next five-year Basic Screening Survey will begin during the 2021-2022 school year.
The Basic Screening Survey is a screening assessment conducted by either or a dental hygienist or trained professional such as a school nurse to determine oral health status of third grade students. The survey data assists us in securing funding for future oral health programming for Louisiana students. Screening results are treated as private health information and all data is collected in aggregate form to ensure the privacy of both students and schools.
- Basic Screening Survey Tool is a Basic Screening Survey for partners that can be used to collect data to determine oral health status of the children that are screened.
- Basic Screening Survey Children’s Manual provides general information on how to conduct a Basic Screening Survey in Head Start and school age children. It includes the clinical indicators that should, at a minimum, be collected and the diagnostic criteria that all jurisdictions should use when collecting oral health data.
- Bright Smiles for Bright Futures Basic Screening Survey Report provides important data that supports the use of the BSS to improve Louisiana’s oral health.
- Department of Education Superintendent Letter of Support from the superintendent at the Department of Education can be given to schools that choose to/are participating in the Basic Screening Survey.
- Parent Take Home Flyer is a short fact sheet that provides parents with information about the Basic Screening Survey and their child, should they agree to participate.
- Educational Coloring Sheet is an informative and educational coloring sheet that is age-appropriate to help children understand the importance of good oral health.
- Student Consent Form is an accessible resource to parents that they can complete and sign as consent for their child to participate in the Basic Screening Survey.
- School Participation Form is for schools that want to participate in the Basic Screening Survey.
- Letter to the Principal