Training and Technical Assistance for School Staff
Health and Wellness Training and Support for School Staff
Well-Ahead Louisiana assists school districts in making healthy changes by coordinating professional development opportunities and identifying resources for staff training. By equipping your staff with physical activity and nutrition tools and techniques, you can encourage healthier students and healthier schools!
Healthy Schools Training Krewe
Our Healthy Schools Training Krewe provides professional development and training to implement healthy changes at school.
Virtual School Health Trainings
Equip yourself with the skills to promote a healthy school environment by completing virtual learning at your own pace with the online materials and resources.
Technical Assistance Request
Well-Ahead offers additional technical assistance that is available on request. Connect with us by completing the contact form.
- Wellness Team Meeting Planning: We can help school wellness committees and district health advisory councils plan a productive meeting so you and your team can drive progress and get results.
- Wellness Team Meeting Facilitation: For brand new teams or teams that are coming back together after time apart, we can help school wellness committees or district health advisory councils by facilitating your in-person or virtual meeting to get you on the right track.
- Health Education Scope and Sequence Development: We can help school districts develop a scope and sequence for health teachers that meets state standards and incorporates the Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum.
- Wellness Policy Enhancement: Whether you have an upcoming Administrative Review or just want to refresh your policy, we can help your school district build a local school wellness policy that supports your vision and mission for school health.
- Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program Planning or Enhancement: For schools or school districts looking to establish more active school environments, we can help you develop programming to reach your goals.
- Recess Planning or Enhancement: We can help schools reach their recess potential and develop a written recess plan for students of all ages and ability levels.
Professional Development from State Organizations
There are other organizations in Louisiana that provide additional resources and professional development to support healthy school environments.
- Louisiana Farm to School (F2S) Program: The Louisiana Farm to School Program promotes the use of locally grown and raised agricultural products in school meal programs. Louisiana F2S provides training, technical assistance, and resources to support schools and school districts in implementing farm to school strategies and activities that connect communities with local food and local food producers. The annual Louisiana Farm to School Conference is held each October.
- Louisiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (LAHPERD): The aim of this organization is to improve the quality of life through health and fitness and recreational activities. LAHPERD provides workshops on the Louisiana Physical Education Content Standards and hosts an annual convention that offers professional development for educators, administrators, recreation supervisors, and more. LAHPERD is an affiliate of SHAPE America (Society of Health and Physical Educators).
- Louisiana School Nurse Organization (LSNO): LSNO offers resources and continuous educational opportunities for professional school nurses to support increasingly effective school nursing services, strengthening Louisiana’s educational process through the improvement of the health status of our students. LSNO hosts a statewide conference annually and is an affiliate of the National Association of School Nurses.
- The School Nutrition Association of Louisiana (SNAL):This organization of school nutrition professionals is committed to advancing the quality of school meal programs through education and advocacy. SNAL works to ensure all children have access to healthful school meals and nutrition education by providing members with education and training. SNAL hosts a statewide conference annually and is an affiliate of the national School Nutrition Association.
- Louisiana Fit Kids: This project aims to strengthen our state’s child nutrition programs to help bolster academic achievement and children’s success through a variety of key initiatives. Louisiana Fit Kids supports schools in Louisiana in implementing the nutrition standards set by the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act (HHFKA) and Professional Standards requirements for school nutrition professionals who operate and manage school meal programs. In addition, Louisiana Fit Kids offers on-site trainings on a variety of child nutrition topics; helps schools identify food items that meet Smart Snacks criteria; and guides schools to create, update and revise wellness plans as required by the HHFKA.
- Louisiana Department of Education, Healthy Communities Section: Louisiana has adopted a coordinated, comprehensive approach to create a climate for achievement in schools and to promote healthy lifestyles among students. The approach has three major components: School Climate(discipline and bullying prevention, child welfare and attendance), School Health (physical education, health education, nursing services, school-based Medicaid services, related health services, adapted physical education, and oral health) and School Transportation. The Louisiana Department of Education, Healthy Communities Section, provides resources and information to support schools and districts in these areas.
- Louisiana School Psychological Association (LSPA): LSPA promotes the profession of school psychology to advance effective practices that enrich students’ educational outcomes, behavior, and mental health. School psychologists consult or collaborate with educators, parents, and other professionals to help students succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally.