Tobacco Cessation Training for Louisiana Providers
Healthcare providers play a key role in identifying patients that use tobacco and helping them quit. In fact, according to the CDC, tobacco quit rates increase when healthcare providers consistently identify and treat tobacco use. The majority of people who use tobacco want to quit, but getting started often takes support and motivation from trusted sources like you. Help your patients begin their quit story. Ask them if they use tobacco, them to quit and refer them to quit resources during visits. Make tobacco screening and referring a standard of care.
Brief Tobacco Intervention Training
The Brief Tobacco Intervention is a quick, easy and effective approach for providers to address patient tobacco use in less than three minutes. This saves time for you and your staff, and ensures that your patients receive the treatment they need.
In the Brief Tobacco Intervention Training you will:
- Learn three simple steps to help you effectively talk with your patients about tobacco in less than three minutes.
- Learn about evidence-based cessation treatments available in Louisiana, including individual, group and telephone counseling and seven FDA-approved medications.
- Earn continuing education units in less than an hour!
Access the training by registering for the Optum Learning Community. Once registered, click on Addressing Tobacco Use in Louisiana to start the course.
Become a Connect2Quit Provider
You are the link between patients and the help they need to quit tobacco. When you become a Connect2Quit Provider, you can refer patients directly to the Louisiana Tobacco Quitline. This means that patients no longer have to take the first step in calling the Quitline! The Louisiana Tobacco Quitline will contact the patient at a time most convenient for them.
The Connect2Quit referral process is easy and seamless!
- You will screen for tobacco use and assess the patient’s readiness to quit.
- You will complete and fax or email the referral form to the Quitline.
- The form is processed and a call is placed to the patient within 24-48 hours to begin Quitline services.
- You will receive a bi-weekly outcome report from the Quitline detailing the patient’s progress.
- When you become a certified Connect2Quit healthcare provider, you will receive access to our online toolkit, containing referral forms and materials to promote the Quitline in your facility.
Take the Training!
To complete the Connect2Quit Training:
- Watch the presentation video in full. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Complete the online quiz.
- Receive the link to the Connect2Quit online toolkit via email.
If you need printed copies of the referral forms or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vaping: The New Youth Epidemic
In Louisiana, youth e-cigarette use is on the rise with rates tripling from 2015 to 2019. Healthcare providers are in a key position to have open conversations with their young patients and connect them to tobacco cessation resources and support.
Through this training, providers learn key skills in talking with youth about tobacco use and how to refer them to cessation resources. Providers who fully complete this training will receive one hour of CME credits.
Upon completion of the E-Cigarette Online Training, you will be able to:
- Describe emerging trends in e-cigarette use among youth.
- Define e-cigarettes.
- List the physiological and cognitive effects of e-cigarette use.
- Identify cessation resources for youth and healthcare providers.
- Utilize the “ask, advise, refer” method to screen, treat and respond specifically to youth e-cigarette use.
Take the Training!
To complete the E-Cigarette Training: