Oral Health Coalition
Improving Oral Health Throughout Louisiana
Well-Ahead Louisiana organized the Oral Health Coalition in 2010 with a vision of supporting a Louisiana where people of all ages have excellent oral health. The Coalition’s first major action was the creation of a state plan for improving the oral health of Louisiana residents. The Coalition developed the state plan as a method to connect agencies, establish collaborations and reach more of the state’s population.
The Louisiana Oral Health Coalition is committed to addressing four major components to improve oral health in our state—access, policy, prevention and workforce issues driven by data surveillance, and evaluation.
Increase access to quality, comprehensive and continuous oral health services for all Louisiana residents throughout their life stages.
Influence policy, environmental or systems change and maintain continuous visibility to support, advocate and collaborate on relevant oral health matters.
Subcommittee: Policy Workgroup
Improve and maintain oral health and prevent the progression of oral disease through evidence-based interventions that address risk factors and at-risk populations.
Prevention Workgroups: Dental Sealant Workgroup and Fluoride/Fluoridation Workgroup
Workforce and Partnerships
Support efforts to ensure the preparation, recruitment and retention of an oral health workforce that is adequate and skilled so that it may better serve the state’s population.
Subcommittee: Workforce Workgroup
Mission of the Oral Health Coalition
To coordinate the provision of information, resources and services so that people of all ages can have excellent oral health.
State Action Plan for Oral Health
The 2018-2023 State Action Plan provides direction for achieving priorities set forth by key stakeholders representing individual oral health champions and multiple organizations from across the state. Benefits include networking, better utilization of resources, increased visibility of oral health issues and engaging new stakeholders. Through 2023, the Louisiana Oral Health Coalition will sustain their commitment to accomplishing these strategies and activities.
Annual Oral Health Summit
The Annual Oral Health Summit brings together stakeholders including dental clinicians, community advocates, local/state municipalities, students, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), Rural Health Clinics (RHCs), public health workers, academia, and policy makers with a vested interest to improve oral health outcomes for all.
The 2021 half-day virtual event highlighted opportunities to advance health equity. Attendees participated in engaging sessions to learn more about the gaps in oral health care access for low-income children and families, and how to improve oral health equity by reducing disparities and expanding access to low effective preventive practices.
Other Ways to Get Improve Oral Health for Everyone
Because oral health is essential to overall health and well-being, the Oral Health and Equity Network (OPEN) has organized across the country to ensure healthier outcomes for everyone. OPEN is a network of individuals and organizations committed to social justice and health equity.
Join the Oral Health Coalition
- Arbor Family Health/Innis Community Health Center
- Capital Area Agency on Aging
- Central Louisiana Area Health Education Center
- Innis Community Health Center
- Just Kids Dental
- Louisiana Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Louisiana Dental Association
- Louisiana Dental Hygienists Association
- Louisiana Department of Education
- Louisiana Department of Education - Head Start Collaboration Office
- Louisiana Department of Health - Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities
- Louisiana Department of Health - Medicaid
- Louisiana Diabetes Educators Network
- Louisiana Rural Health Association
- Louisiana Rural Water Association
- Louisiana Primary Care Association
- Louisiana School Healthy Schools Collaborative
- LSU Health Sciences School of Public Health
- LSU Health Sciences Center Pediatrics (Shreveport)
- LSU Health Sciences Center School of Dentistry
- MCNA Dental
- Southcentral Aids Education & Training Center Program
- Southeast Community Health
- Southeast Louisiana Area Health Education Center
- Louisiana Oral Health Coalition (LOHC) Pre-Conference Webinar: Understanding Oral Health Inequities Participants learned effective strategies on how to pioneer state oral health policies to reduce oral health inequities and increase access to oral health care for underserved communities. To view the recording, click here. You can also access the presentation slides here.
- A Provider’s Guide to Fluoride Varnish Applications
- Jon C. Burr Foundation Documentary “Hidden Pain: America’s Oral Health Crisis”
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Disparities in Oral Health
- World Health Organization (WHO) World Oral Health Fact Sheet
- October 2020 Louisiana Oral Health Coalition Meeting Minutes
- July 2020 Louisiana Oral Health Coalition Meeting Minutes
- January 2020 Louisiana Oral Health Coalition Meeting Meetings