Once you’ve assessed your employees, use the results to set your worksite wellness program's priorities. Typically, wellness programs have two different focuses - either a lifestyle management focus or a disease management focus. But, feel free to incorporate aspects from both!
- Lifestyle Management Programs: have a specific focus on preventing chronic disease through behavior change like physical activity, healthy nutrition, mental health management and tobacco cessation
- Disease Management Programs: have a specific focus on reducing or managing chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and asthma
Regardless of the focus you choose, the implementation strategies are the same. Below, learn about each strategy in more detail. Education is the building block of all worksite wellness programs. Team members will not take action if they do not know why they should. Once the foundation is set through (ongoing) education, the following strategies - activities, environmental change, policy change - can be set into motion.
IF YOUR ORGANIZATION IS...
- Small: Focus on lifestyle management.
- Medium: Focus on lifestyle management. Sprinkle in disease management when and if resources allow.
- Large: If resources allow, your program should encompass both lifestyle and disease management focuses. For more information, use the Louisiana Business Group on Health Toolkit.