Heart Health Screenings for Women
WISEWOMAN (Well-Integrated Screening and Evaluation for WOMen Across the Nation) is a program to help women understand and reduce their risk for heart disease. At no cost, the program provides heart health screenings to women across Louisiana. Women showing risk for heart disease receive support from healthy lifestyle programs and health coaching at no cost.
Heart disease is the number 1 killer of women in the United States.1 Did you know many things can influence your risk for heart disease and stroke? That includes high blood pressure, using tobacco products, being at an unhealthy weight, and family history of heart disease or stroke.2
Now is the time to take care of you. A healthy lifestyle is the best way to reduce your risk for heart disease or stroke. This may mean making healthy food choices, getting more exercise, or quitting smoking. Participating in WISEWOMAN can help you make long-lasting healthy changes.
Do I Qualify for WISEWOMAN?
Women who are eligible for WISEWOMAN:
- Qualify for the Louisiana Breast and Cervical Health Program,
- Live in the areas of the state where WISEWOMAN is available,
- Are between the ages of 40 and 64,
- Have a low income, and/or
- Have no insurance or insurance with high out-of-pocket costs.
- Where Can I Get a WISEWOMAN Screening?
What Does a WISEWOMAN Screening Include?
A WISEWOMAN screening includes tests that determine overall risk for heart disease, such as:
- Blood pressure
- Body mass index (weight)
These tests are offered to women during their Louisiana Breast and Cervical Health Program visit at participating locations.
How Can I Access the Handouts from My Screening?
It’s easy! You can access them here.
- How to Manage Blood Pressure (BP)/BP Measurement Instructions
- How to Quit Tobacco/How to Be More Active
- How to Manage Blood Sugar/How to Control Cholesterol
- How to Manage Weight/How to Eat Well
- Blood Pressure Log
- Medicine Chart
- Cómo controlar la presión arterial/Instrucciones para medir la presión arterial
- Cómo dejar de fumar/Cómo hacer más ejercicio
- Cómo controlar la glucemia/Cómo controlar el colesterol
- Cómo controlar el peso/ Cómo comer saludable
- Registro de la presión arterial
- Planilla de medicamentos
- Cách Để Kiểm Soát Huyết Áp/Hướng Dẫn Đo Huyết Áp
- Cách Bỏ Thuốc Lá/Cách Để Vận Động Tích Cực Hơn
- Cách Để Kiểm Soát Đường Huyết/Cách Kiểm Soát Cholesterol
- Cách Kiểm Soát Cân Nặng/ Cách Để Ăn Uống Lành Mạnh
- Bảng Theo Dõi Huyết Áp
- Biểu Đồ Y Tế
Become a Screening Site
If your health center participates in the Louisiana Breast and Cervical Health Program (LBCHP), it is eligible to offer WISEWOMAN. For more information on how to get started, fill out the form below.
Current screening locations can download and print clinic forms.
Virtual Health Coaching
A healthy lifestyle is the best way to reduce your risk for heart disease or stroke. We are here to help! The EmPOWERED to Serve Health Lesson videos and accompanying resources will help you make healthy lifestyle changes at your own pace.
Coaching de salud virtual
- Semana 1: Controla su presión arterial
- Semana 2: No dañe su corazón
- Semana 3: Frutas y verdas fuente de salud
Semana 4: Conozco lo que es la diabetes